Friday, February 19, 2010

Local Bookstores....a reminder.

My family found itself in Bozeman this week and we had some time to kill waiting for some haircuts. We wondered into the Country Bookshelf a local, independent bookstore. The first thing that was such a blessing was the complete lack of any Disney merchandise in the entire store. My daughter has fallen hard for the princess line from Disney and clearly the child consumer psychologists have dialed into exactly what crap kids will die for. Yet, we have a house full of cheap, plastic Disney princess stuff at it all gets tired.

While my daughter was growing crazy in the kid's books I certainly enjoyed viewing the featured books. Not the "New in Paperback", "Buy two get one free" generic displays all too common at B&N or Borders, but the truly interesting displays full of independent publishers and foreign selections.

But to me the selling point came after a short interaction with a the cashier. I had recently read an article in the New Yorker about new Arab novels being translated and sold in the United States. Somehow this article came up in the brief conversation I was having with this young lady and she immediately lead me to all of the books that were mentioned in the article.

Needless to say we left thankful and impressed. Support you local independent bookseller, you will thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment